Anyone reading this blog would notice that I have been doing a lot of article reviews as of late. This is because the summer is winding down and they will soon be due but also because the scanner has been down for a few days now. Circulation will also be moving to our floor temporarily while a remodeling project takes place, so I have also been helping move our offices around in order to prepare for that. Therefore, there hasn't been too much I can do. Luckily, the scanner is now up and running. At this juncture, I have roughly 230 maps scanned and catalogued. I'm sure this is probably less than 5% of the whole collection. I have worked exclusively on 1:50,000 maps, which make up the bulk of this collection by far. There is only one drawer of 1:25,000 maps and only a handful of drawers in the 1:100,000. Of course, this makes sense since the 1:100,000 maps are the largest in scale. I have also been spending this down time learning how to use the index in order to find particular maps. It is very challenging. I find myself looking up the coordinates, bringing up a map on Google, and then looking at the index to find which map I actually need. It seems that I am almost always one off. Once the maps are done, the map librarian is thinking about creating a GIS-based index that will hopefully take a little bit of the guess work out of it! Hopefully, this will come to fruition.
No comments:
Post a Comment